Home / How We Serve Our Community
How We Serve Our Community
- Safe Animal Shelter is a 501 (c)(3) organization which receives no government funding.
- All services we provide the community are funded by individual and business donations, grants from charitable foundations, pet adoption fees, and fund-raising activities held throughout each year.
- We measure our success by maximizing the number of loving families who adopt pets from us.
- Each pet we adopt to a forever family opens up space to save another homeless cat or dog. We encourage you to consider us your go-to Adoption Center when looking for your next family pet.
Pets Are Cared for Medically before Adoption:
- All rescued animals that enter Safe Animal Shelter are provided food, shelter, loving care, attention, socialization, recreation, exercise and quality medical treatment. That includes spay/neuter surgery, vaccinations, and heartworm testing. If heartworm positive, pets are usually put through treatment before adoption.
- Occasionally new owners take them home before treatments are completed and return them to Safe Animal Shelter when it’s time for treatment.
- All dogs and cats are micro chipped for their safety and their future owner’s convenience.
Conveniently Located Clay County Pet Adoption Center
- Safe Animal Shelter is located at 2913 County Road 220, just past Knight Boxx Road in Middleburg, Florida. That’s just a 15-20-minute drive from Orange Park, Green Cove Springs, Middleburg and Fleming Island.
- Once you arrive, you’ll be greeted by our staff and asked to sign in before you visit the dogs or cats.
- If you’re looking for a new family dog, there will be 40 to 50 dogs or puppies for you to consider.
- If a new feline is in your future, there will be 50 to 60 cats or kittens from which to choose.
- Visiting hours are Noon to 5:00 pm, Wednesday through Sunday. Other meeting times may be made by appointment.
- Dogs are housed in indoor/outdoor kennels with chain link gates from the internal hallway, so visitors can easily see dogs of all sizes and doggone cuteness.
- Our facilities include several fenced yards and a private Meet and Greet room where you can meet with one or more dogs on an up close and personal basis.
- Just ask to have an adoption counselor help you meet the dog or dogs of your choice. If you already have a dog or dogs at your home, you can bring them to the shelter for a supervised meeting with the new dog you’d like to adopt.
- Cats are housed in one of three rooms where they are free to roam, snooze, play or go outside to a fully-enclosed porch for some fresh air. Enter at the risk of picking up some cat hair — and some loving attention!
Website Features Photos and Brief Description of our Adoptables
- If you’re looking for a pet with a specific look or a specific breed, you can watch our Website to see when it makes sense to visit in person.
- Each pet is photographed and posted on the site for your selection convenience.
- Click Here to learn about our adoption approval process, things to consider before adopting a new pet and photos of pets currently available for adoption.
We Participate in Off-site Adoption Events
- Numerous times throughout the year, we attend adoption events at Petco Stores, PetSmart, Pet Supermarket and other venues. This gives our pets additional exposure in the community.
- Some lucky animals are adopted at the off-site events. However, the main benefit is to make members of the community aware of Safe Animal Shelter so they will visit our facility in person.